I'm wondering if you guys think that a one week vacation in Cartagena inside the walled city is too long or not... Should we split the week into 2 destinations or does Cartagena offer easy cheap day trips to keep things interesting for a week? And how big is the walled old section, is it enough to discover new things for a few days or could it be all seen in 1 day? And finally, the plane + hotel are at a good price, but I read that it's an expensive city, what can I expect in terms of eating expenses and are there cheap grocery stores where we can buy sandwiches, fruits, nuts, cereals, etc. in order to not eat out in restaurants all the time?
I went a few years back to Puerto Vallarta and stayed in the old section of the city, and I did a few easy excursions by bus to Sayulita and Boca de Tomatlan... It was a great vacation for me because it was all sea front, lots of great walks, restaurants, shops, good atmosphere... It was a combination of relaxing but also sightseeing... I'm trying to see if Cartagena and its day trips can offer a similar type of vacation or if it's too different... I know for sure that Cartagena is more picturesque which is a big plus.
Also besides Puerto Vallarta, how would destinations like Havana and Panama City compare to Cartagena in your opinion in terms of experience for 1 week vacation... I've never been but I'm considering them too... Thanks
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 2 Exploring the cities of Ecuador's Andes
- 3 Choquequirao Questions
- 4 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 5 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 6 MARCHU PICCHU
- 7 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 8 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 9 One week in Cartagena?
- 10 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 11 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 12 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 13 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 14 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 15 Ecuador Pure Life (tour operator) - very negative experience
- 16 Need Dinner recommendations for 12 Peru trip
- 17 Another Brazil Visa Application Form question!
- 18 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 19 Iquitos Peru and rain forest
- 20 Help w 2nd Guessing Peru itinerary
- 21 Senior Citizens traveling to Machu Picchu
- 22 2 week Peru trip itinerary - Appreciate feedback
- 23 Rainbow mountain trek
- 24 Advice about Inti Raymi in Ecuador this year
- 25 salkantay trek