I really enjoyed the Mediterranean cruise on MSC Splendida march 3-10 2017
Ports of call were Barcelona Marseille genoa Rome and was supposed to be Sicily and Malta but high winds and waves had us alter to And Palma de Mallorca instead
Thee weather was not great for the first part of the cruise, but it was march after all
The ship holds 4000 people and did not seem as crowded as some smaller ships. It was very international with people from all parts of Europe, Russia, Japan, china and a couple from USA and Canada. All announcements were in seven different languages
Lots of Russians as well as Chinese and Japanese groups
Staff was also very international speaking many languages, but most spoke a bit of English. We found all the staff to be very kind and helpful
The cafeteria was crowded at breakfast but no one was pushing or shoving. There were seats for all and there were many food stations , it was a huge area
The cafeteria food was great, good flavor, and lots of vegetarian and healthy options with some spice to it
The dining rooms was hit or miss with food. Service was excellent but the food quite often bland
The ship was very clean and modern. Midship was a lounge with piano and at night some great music, classical with a piano violin trio or else opera music
It was a bit Las Vegas style, lots of glitz and glamour in this area
Kids travel free it seems so there were a number of small children. The staff were excellent with them and there appeared to be a daycare. A few high school groups as well, it seems they get a good rate ( Italian schools)
The shows in the theatre were so so. We did not participate in any other activities.
Shore excursions were reasonably priced, we only did one in Rome which was fine.
You can start your seven day cruise in almost any of the stops so the guests changed all the time and it meant less congestion on checkin and check out. Barcelona and genoa were the major stops however
What I did not like:
When there was a major announcement it would be broadcast inside your stateroom, very loud and in seven different languages. It always seemed to be when I was in the rooms resting before dinner at 530PM and it took forever
Late seating for dinner was 9PM and early was 630PM. I found 9 way too late so did the early
I got a hair cut and highlights on board and was quoted 70 euros. The bill came in at 110. There were lots of things added on that were not disclosed. Shampoo was one. How can you color your hair and not get a shampoo ? Just beware
They are not counting on repeat customers so they just play dumb and say " oh sorry"
If you are getting off the ship and did not book an excursion you disembark at a different departure point. Don't go when it first opens. Wait at least 15 minutes or you will find the pushing and shoving to get off first intolerable
All in all I would book MSC again. The value was great, staff excellent and food the best of all others I have cruised on.
Recent ActivityView all Cruises activity »
- 1 Hello, San Juan and Jewel Of The Seas
- 2 Southern Caribbean Cruise tips - Celebrity
- 3 Virgin to build cruise ships.
- 4 How do you decide if you would lie a cruise?
- 5 HAL - "Open Seating Notification"
- 6 Sunshine, On A Cloudy Day
- 7 Transportation from airport to Manhattan hotels
- 8 Prague to Budapest with Tauck in May, 2016
- 9 MSC splendida
- 10 Shore excursions Alaskan inside passage
- 11 Avoid MSC; Worst vacation ever!
- 12 Cruise Mate- last minute, 33 days from San Diego
- 13 Trip insurance
- 14 Cabin Location: How concerned should I be?
- 15 World Cruises - Preference and Discounts
- 16 Viking Homelands cruise of Baltic
- 17 Shore excursions
- 18 Looking for cruise mate for S. Caribbean cruise
- 19 Western Caribbean excursions?
- 20 Quick cruise beginning of March Bahamas vs Carribbean
- 21 Beds on GCT river cruise ships (European)
- 22 Need suggestions Caribbean cruise
- 23 My first river cruise 12-2017
- 24 Cabin Question for Emerald Princess
- 25 Hotel near Alees de L'Oulle