I am in the beginning stages of planing a trip to Thailand in 2018. I usually travel to Europe since I am half French from my father's side. We currently live in Florida. It would be my husband and I, our two children (5 and 2 at the time of travel) and my mother (active and healthy).
I have never been to Thailand. I have travelled to third world countries before.
My concern is that it seems like the destinations within Thailand are either presented as beautiful or as a tourist trap. This is what I like when I travel:
-Walking/ bicycling/ canoes/swimming. I don't like cars and traffic. I search for walkable cities such as old town Salzburg, Vienna, Murren, Siena/Pienza, Manarola, Bruges, Varenna, Venice, Sarlat. I want to be far away from pollution.
-Stunning scenery. I love the hike between Oia and Fira in Greece. I love the Cinque Terre trails (not just the main one). I don't mind crowds if there is a way around it and the place is amazingly beautiful: for example we get up at 5am to be on the trail by 6am for Cinque Terre trail and we enjoy 3 glorious hours. In Oia, there is no one in the streets at 8am. Ditto for Venice.
-Meeting new people
We don't need luxury as long as it it is clean for the children. I avoid resorts.
My other concern is the welfare of the elephants. some trip reports say it is the highlight of their trip and I could see how my children would love it. However, I don't believe in teaching wild animals useless tricks (like an elephant painting???!!). The behavior could have been implemented via harsh and cruel methods.
Could anyone be so kind to suggest a few places in Thailand that might fit the wants of my family?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Toll-Free : YAHOO Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482 :3831 YAHOO MAIL 24*7
- 2 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 3 Twin rooms in Japan
- 4 Hindu Mandir (Temple) in Karachi - Pakistan - A Documentary
- 5 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 6 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 7 Impressions of India
- 8 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 9 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 10 sri lanka- tips required
- 11 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 12 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 13 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 14 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 15 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 16 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 17 Christmas in the Alps
- 18 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 19 Is the Bennesse Naoshima Worth It?
- 20 Yercaud – Cheapest Getaway from Chennai
- 21 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 22 Laos or Kerala?
- 23 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report
- 24 Bali & Singapore in October
- 25 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip