I am in the beginning stages of planing a trip to Thailand in 2018. I usually travel to Europe since I am half French from my father's side. We currently live in Florida. It would be my husband and I, our two children (5 and 2 at the time of travel) and my mother (active and healthy).
I have never been to Thailand. I have travelled to third world countries before.
My concern is that it seems like the destinations within Thailand are either presented as beautiful or as a tourist trap. This is what I like when I travel:
-Walking/ bicycling/ canoes/swimming. I don't like cars and traffic. I search for walkable cities such as old town Salzburg, Vienna, Murren, Siena/Pienza, Manarola, Bruges, Varenna, Venice, Sarlat. I want to be far away from pollution.
-Stunning scenery. I love the hike between Oia and Fira in Greece. I love the Cinque Terre trails (not just the main one). I don't mind crowds if there is a way around it and the place is amazingly beautiful: for example we get up at 5am to be on the trail by 6am for Cinque Terre trail and we enjoy 3 glorious hours. In Oia, there is no one in the streets at 8am. Ditto for Venice.
-Meeting new people
We don't need luxury as long as it it is clean for the children. I avoid resorts.
My other concern is the welfare of the elephants. some trip reports say it is the highlight of their trip and I could see how my children would love it. However, I don't believe in teaching wild animals useless tricks (like an elephant painting???!!). The behavior could have been implemented via harsh and cruel methods.
Could anyone be so kind to suggest a few places in Thailand that might fit the wants of my family?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bali - What to do?
- 2 Impressions of India
- 3 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 4 Need ideas for 9 nights end of Feb. in Malaysia or Indonesia
- 5 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 6 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 7 Taiwan confusion..
- 8 Tokyo daytrip
- 9 Elephant Hills or Elephant Haven in Thailand?
- 10 Namaste India - Shopping/Money
- 11 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 12 Help with itinerary for 11 days
- 13 Looking for Ryokan in Hakone
- 14 Laos- two weeks in January
- 15 Japan (Tokyo) trip- April or May least expensive to travel?
- 16 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 17 Ryokan in Hakone - best location?
- 18 Visa for India
- 19 Snapshots From Kerala
- 20 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 21 Other than Kyoto?
- 22 Japan itinerary advice
- 23 Quickie Kathmandu visit worthwhile?
- 24 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 25 Trip Report : China