I am travelling to Beijing and Shenzhen with work in March. I'll have a few days at the beginning of my trip where I'd like to relax and have a look around Beijing, then work, at the end I'll have time to stay in Shenzhen and visit Hong Kong, possibly Macau and Guangzhou time dependent. I visited China about ten years ago with my parents to Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an and Guilin. We were in a private tour but they were always keen for us to have a guide with us - would I encounter any issues? My mother passed away last year and I'd be travelling myself, I am a Western female in my twenties with limited Mandarin. I'd also probably be on a business visa. I'd like to use this opportunity to see some of the 'real' China.
I have acquaintances in Yinchuan, Ningxia; Baotou, Inner Mongolia, Taiyuan, Shanxi; Xining, Qinghai, Changsha, Hunan; and Sanya, Hainan. I am into experiencing culture and packing sights in (although I remember the pace on our holiday to China was too extreme!) I am not the kind of person who could spend a holiday on the beach! I was thinking perhaps Baotou and Ningxia would be the most interesting - I'd love to see Inner Mongolia but i have heard very mixed reviews about industrial Baotou which I'd use Baotou as a base as I'd like to see the Genghis Khan mausoleum at Ordos and possibly Xilamuren or similar grassland although it wont be green.
For Xining, I am not so sure as I;d like to see a little bit of Tibetan culture and go to Qinghai lake but the friend I have there will be working so not sure how easy it is to do myself although she will look for a tour. She was going to find me a private apartment to stay in but then I heard about having to register with the authorities as a foreigner, etc. But the province itself looks interesting plus the fact you could get to Zhangye in 2 hours.
So basically I am now thinking of flying from Shenzhen direct to Xining then taking the train or plane to Yinchuan. This puts me off as it is either a 12 hour train ride (can you bring a large case on the train) or an infrequent flight. Then a 6 hour train to Baotou and I'd fly back to Beijing where I'll get my flight home. Alternatively I can fly back from Shenzhen to Beijing and travel from there.
Sorry for the long post but any experience in these regions or if I am packing too much in or tips would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bangkok- Sky Bars
- 2 Travel Video - Tajikistan (2017)
- 3 2 weeks in Asia with my adult kids Xmas
- 4 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 5 Japan Itinerary Help Needed
- 6 Bangkok- Dinner Cruises
- 7 Japan rough itinerary
- 8 shanghai for 4 days
- 9 Budget Servied Apt
- 10 7 hour layover in Beijing
- 11 Cooking class/Food Tour/Fish market tour
- 12 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 13 TRIP REPORT: Just back from first time to Japan!
- 14 Himeji Castle - luggage storage
- 15 What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali
- 16 Opinions on Osaka? And other burning questions...
- 17 Something about... Malaysia
- 18 China Trip - 2 Cities + Lakes, Rivers, and Rice Terraces!
- 19 Help needed for 1 week trip in Kuala Lumpur with kids
- 20 Layover in Seoul with a dog?
- 21 Please help me to start planning a trip to Bhutan
- 22 Tour Companies for Vietnam trip
- 23 Japan - Your favorite locations in Kyushu
- 24 Japan Itinerary!
- 25 Japan - itinerary help needed!